Are you one who likes to hit the road and go on epic road trips with your college pals? Many of the world’s favorite writers have had so much fun on the road that they’ve written unforgettable books for you to enjoy.
According to many critics, these are the top five books about famous road trips:
- On the Road: Written by Jack Kerouac and published in 1957, this story works to capture life in the 1950s. The book’s narrator Sal Paradise goes cross country with his buddy Dean Moriarity, a reform school escapee who has stolen his fair share of cars and serves as Sal’s mentor. It is an adventure you won’t want to miss.
- The Zen and Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: Published in 1974 and written by Robert M. Pirsig, the book is an exploration of the world of ideas during a journey that begins in Minneapolis and ends near San Francisco. This is a great one if you love philosophy.
- American Nomads: Author Richard Grants writes about life on the open road as he shares stories from his 15 years of wandering throughout the US. His stories include chance meetings with truckers, rodeo cowboys, flea market traders, RV campers and more. You are guaranteed to laugh while reading!
- Lolita: One of the most controversial yet loved novels ever written, Lolita takes you into the bizarre mind of Humbert Humbert. The aging man falls in love with Lolita, a young girl, and goes on a one year cross country road trip with her. The story is pretty funky, but has been noted as one of the best books ever written.
- Sideways: This simultaneously funny and heartwarming book surrounds the wine tasting road trip of Miles and Jack. Topics within the book include lots of analysis of different wines, thoughts on relationships and plenty of hilarious moments. A great read for those who love wine and roadtripping.
We hope that you will read one or more of these adventures and be inspired to take to the road! These are only 5 of the numerous books about road trips….there are so many more out there. What are your favorite books on road trips? Please share on our Facebook wall!